1. Fresh Tea starts with Fresh Water
The source of the water is extremely vital. Unfiltered water may have additives such as fluorine and add unnecessary minerals that create unfavourable metallic flavours to the tea. On the other hand, absolutely distilled pure water may be too bland that makes the tea taste a tad duller. Thus, water for the tea should have a neutral pH so that it prevents the tea from tasting sour or bitter. It should also be freshly boiled because water that has been boiled over and over again may absorb flavours from the air around the environment.
Recommended types of filters: reverse osmosis filtration or purified water. Bottled water may be the second-best alternative for travellers.
2. Infuse your Tea Leaves with the Boiled Water
Preheat your teapot or cup by filling it up with boiled water and discard this water thereafter. Place one teaspoon of loose tea leaves per cup into the infuser. Then, infuse the loose tea leaves in freshly boiled water. We highly recommend the following steeping chart for starters but you may adjust it to your own exclusive taste to develop your personal tea rituals for yourself!
1 teaspoon of loose tea leaves for per cup (7 oz. of water)
Black Tea — 100°C 3 – 5 minutes
Green Tea — 75 – 90°C 2 minutes
Oolong Tea — 95 – 100°C 3 – 5 minutes
White Tea — 88 – 98°C 5 – 7 minutes
Puerh Tea — 100°C 3 – 5 minutes
Rooibos — 100°C 4 – 10 minutes
Herbal Tisanes — 100°C 5 minutes
3. Enjoy your freshly brewed cup of tea!
After you have attained your preferred infusion timing and temperature, remove the infuser or strain the loose tea leaves. And then enjoy your cuppa tea!
4. Some Like It Hot, Some Like It Cold
If you do not fancy it hot, you can do it cold too! Here’s a quick and easy way to prepare a cup of iced tea brewed to perfection:
- To ensure that your iced tea remains bold in its flavour, use twice as much of loose tea leaves (2 teaspoons/2 tea bags) for every cup of tea (7 oz.)
- Fill your pitcher halfway with freshly boiled water and let it steep for 3-5 minutes depending on your own personal preferences
- Fill the rest of the pitcher with cold water and remove the tea leaves/bags
- Pour the tea out over ice and enjoy!